Emotional Intelligence of Early Childhood Parents During the Covid-19 Pandemic in Indonesia
Many cases of violence in early childhood during the Covid-19 epidemic were carried out by their own parents. This is closely related to the emotional intelligence of early childhood parents, which is a reflection of their emotional literacy. This study aims to determine the emotional intelligence of early childhood parents in Indonesia at the time of Covid-19, with a sample of 641 early childhood parents living in the capital city of Jakarta. Data were collected using a questionnaire based on Daniel Goleman's five dimensions of emotional intelligence, namely: self-awareness, self-regulation, self-motivation, empathy, and work together. Analysis techniques used descriptive and inferential quantitative data analysis. The validity of the instruments ranged from 0.323 to 0.603 with reliability of r = 0.625 to 0.731. The results showed that most of the emotional intelligence of early childhood parents in Indonesia during the Covid-19 pandemic was in the sufficient category (78%). The absence of a correlation between work together with self-awareness (F = -0.026; p> 0.05), self-regulation (F = 0.005; p> 0.05), and empathy (F = 0.002; p> 0.005) indicated that parents still need to increase their self-sensitivity and empathy for their children so that they can do positive parenting during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Abdel-Fattah. (2020). Emotional Intelligence and Emotional Stability in Crises. Journal of Psychiatry and Psychiatric Disorders, 04(02), 56–62. https://doi.org/10.26502/jppd.2572-519x0090
- Abdi, A. P. (2020, 24 Juni). Kemen PPPA Catat 3.000 Kasus Kekerasan Anak selama Pandemi COVID 19. https://tirto.id/kemen-pppa-catat-3000-kasus-kekerasan-anak-selama-pandemi-covid-19-fK3j.
- Bavel, J. J. V., Baicker, K., Boggio, P. S., Capraro, V., Cichocka, A., Cikara, M., … Willer, R. (2020). Using social and behavioural science to support COVID-19 pandemic response. Nature Human Behaviour, 4(5), 460–471. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41562-020-0884-z
- Boonk, L., Gijselaers, H. J. M., Ritzen, H., & Brand-Gruwel, S. (2018). A review of the relationship between parental involvement indicators and academic achievement. Educational Research Review, 24(May 2017), 10–30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.edurev.2018.02.001
- Cahyaningrum, E. S., Sudaryanti, S., & Purwanto, N. A. (2017). Pengembangan Nilai-Nilai Karakter Anak Usia Dini Melalui Pembiasaan Dan Keteladanan. Jurnal Pendidikan Anak, 6(2), 203–213. https://doi.org/10.21831/jpa.v6i2.17707
- Campbell, A. M. (2020). An increasing risk of family violence during the Covid-19 pandemic: Strengthening community collaborations to save lives. Forensic Science International: Reports, 2(April), 100089. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsir.2020.100089
- Choi, N., & Cho, H. J. (2020). Temperament and Home Environment Characteristics as Predictors of Young Children’s Learning Motivation. Early Childhood Education Journal, (1994). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10643-020-01019-7
- El-Zoghby, S. M., Soltan, E. M., & Salama, H. M. (2020). Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Mental Health and Social Support among Adult Egyptians. Journal of Community Health, 45(4), 689–695. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10900-020-00853-5
- Fahriza, I., Rayaginansih, S. F., & Agustina, E. R. (2020). Coping Strategies to Increase Adolescent Emotional Intelligence in the Pandemic Covid-19. … : Jurnal Bimbingan Dan …, 4(1), 1–6. https://doi.org/10.26539/teraputik.41280
- Fauzia, R., Nauly, M., & Purba, R. M. (2017). Social Support of Toba-Bataknese Mothers in Children’s Education. 81(Icosop 2016), 2014–2017. https://doi.org/10.2991/icosop-16.2017.69
- Ghosh, R., Chatterjee, S., & Dubey, S. (2020). Impact of COVID-19 on children: Special focus on psychosocial aspect. Minerva Pediatrica, 72(May), 1–10. https://doi.org/10.23736/S0026-4946.20.05887-9
- Hesterman, S. (2013). Early childhood designs for multiliteracies learning. Australian Journal of Language and Literacy, 36(3), 158–168.
- Johnson, B. (2020). Editorial Importance of Positive Parenting During the Pandemic. 7(3), 46–49.
- Leyva, D. (2019). How Do Low-Income Chilean Parents Support Their Preschoolers’ Writing and Math Skills in a Grocery Game? Early Education and Development, 30(1), 114–130. https://doi.org/10.1080/10409289.2018.1540250
- Li, Z. (2020). Coping style, social support and psychological distress in the general Chinese population in the early stages of the COVID-2019 epidemic.
- Liau, A. K., Liau, A. W. L., Teoh, G. B. S., & Liau, M. T. L. (2003). The case for emotional literacy: The influence of emotional intelligence on problem behaviours in Malaysian secondary school students. Journal of Moral Education, 32(1), 51–66. https://doi.org/10.1080/0305724022000073338
- Livesey, P. V. (2017). Goleman-boyatzis model of emotional intelligence for dealing with problems in project management. Construction Economics and Building, 17(1), 20–45. https://doi.org/10.5130/AJCEB.v17i1.5101
- Mayer, J. D., Salovey, P., & Caruso, D. (2012). Models of Emotional Intelligence. Handbook of Intelligence, 396–420. https://doi.org/10.1017/cbo9780511807947.019
- Niklas, F., Cohrssen, C., & Tayler, C. (2016). The Sooner, the Better: Early Reading to Children. SAGE Open, 6(4). https://doi.org/10.1177/2158244016672715
- Nikolajeva, M. (2013). Picturebooks and emotional literacy. Reading Teacher, 67(4), 249–254. https://doi.org/10.1002/trtr.1229
- Ono, M., Sachau, D. A., Deal, W. P., Englert, D. R., & Taylor, M. D. (2011). Cognitive ability, emotional intelligence, and the big five personality dimensions as predictors of criminal investigator performance. Criminal Justice and Behavior, 38(5), 471–491. https://doi.org/10.1177/0093854811399406
- Park, H. (2008). Home literacy environments and children’s reading performance: A comparative study of 25 countries. Educational Research and Evaluation, 14(6), 489–505. https://doi.org/10.1080/13803610802576734
- Prasanti, D., & Fitriani, D. R. (2018). Pembentukan Karakter Anak Usia Dini: Keluarga, Sekolah, Dan Komunitas? (Studi Kualitatif tentang Pembentukan Karakter Anak Usia Dini Melalui Keluarga, Sekolah, dan Komunitas). Jurnal Obsesi : Jurnal Pendidikan Anak Usia Dini, 2(1), 13. https://doi.org/10.31004/obsesi.v2i1.2
- Restubog, S. L. D., Ocampo, A. C. G., & Wang, L. (2020a). Taking control amidst the chaos: Emotion regulation during the COVID-19 pandemic. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 119(May), 1–6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2020.103440
- Restubog, S. L. D., Ocampo, A. C. G., & Wang, L. (2020b). Taking control amidst the chaos: Emotion regulation during the COVID-19 pandemic. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 119, 103440. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2020.103440
- Saklofske, D. H., & Zeidner, M. (2006). Springer Series on Human Exceptionality. Retrieved from http://www.springer.com/series/6450
- Spinelli, M., Spinelli, M., Spinelli, M., Lionetti, F., Pastore, M., & Fasolo, M. (2020). The Lancet Child & Adolescent Health Parents and children facing the COVID-19 outbreak in Italy * Maria Spinelli , PhD ; a , b Francesca Lionetti , PhD , c Massimiliano Pastore , PhD , a Mirco Fasolo , Affiliations Department of Biological and Experimenta.
- Stephenson, K. A., Parrila, R. K., Georgiou, G. K., & Kirby, J. R. (2008). Effects of home literacy, parents’ beliefs, and children’s task-focused behavior on emergent literacy and word reading skills. Scientific Studies of Reading, 12(1), 24–50. https://doi.org/10.1080/10888430701746864
- Teques, P., Calmeiro, L., Martins, H., Duarte, D., & Holt, N. L. (2018). Mediating effects of parents’ coping strategies on the relationship between parents’ emotional intelligence and sideline verbal behaviors in youth soccer. Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 40(3), 153–162. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsep.2017-0318
- Turculeţ, A., & Tulbure, C. (2014). The Relation Between the Emotional Intelligence of Parents and Children. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 142, 592–596. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.07.671
- Underwood, P., Brown, N., Te Riele, K., Shelley, B., Woodroffe, J., Bakhtiar, A., … West, M. (2020). Learning at home during COVID-19: Effects on vulnerable young Australians Independent Rapid Response Report. Icponline.Org, (April). Retrieved from http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/au/deed.en.Thefulllicencetermsareavailablefromhttp://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/au/legalcode.
- Zaini, A. (2014). Urgensi Pembinaan Akhlak Bagi Anak-Anak Pra Sekolah. ThufuLA: Jurnal Inovasi Pendidikan Guru Raudhatul Athfal, 2(2), 219. https://doi.org/10.21043/thufula.v2i2.4246
Copyright (c) 2022 Psychosophia: Journal of Psychology, Religion, and Humanity
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Psychosophia: Journal of Psychology, Religion, and Humanity is committed to real and immediate open access for academic work. Authors are also able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal. Psychosophia: Journal of Psychology, Religion, and Humanity does not charge any reprint fees and it is not necessary to contact Psychosophia: Journal of Psychology, Religion, and Humanity for permission.